After posting How Dragons Can Hoard People, I decided to do a role reversal and get a different side of things. You see, humans are great at turning things around (AKA subverting devices, reversing technology's desired function), so if dragons decide they have a right to own humans, I figure more than one person will decide they have a right to own dragons.
So, my question is, How Can People Hoard Dragons?
- Dragons are possessive and forceful personalities in general; others are more crafty, opportunistic, and relentlessly patient. The dragons will also respond violently to humans trying to claim them, seeing this as an attack on their species and an affront to their natural superiority.
- The method must result in uncontested ownership-the dragons must not question that they belong to their human. Indoctrination is likely. Controls must be set in place so would-be alpha dragons don't try to slay their human.
- The resulting relationship should be akin to the king-subject or master-servant relationship; there can be feelings of friendship and even love between the two, but there should be no question which one is in charge.
- The humans don't want to share ownership of their dragons (let alone their authority over them, except maybe with a spouse), any more than a king wants to share his subjects. In other words, it's likely they'll kill the dragon leaders so they have total ownership (and control over) their subjects but it's also possible (but extremely unlikely) that they claim the leaders as well and keep them as overseers.
- Finally, I'm looking for the best method possible. Magical will work, but a combination of selective breeding and social conditioning will work as well.