Note : I've read some questions dealing with post-apocalyptic scenarios ( fuel and what next after apocalypse? ) and one on a apocalyptic situation, but I'm more interested in what to do immediately while there is a zombie Apocalypse going on. I don't want Bob spending his entire life at sea or anything.
Background : A zombie apocalypse has just happened, due to the military and their scientists - but there are already a lot of zombies. Bob and 3 friends (they're all about 20-23 years of age and unmarried) are all zombie fanatics and have made all sorts of plans on what to do when there is a zombie Apocalypse. (Also, this is taking place in a average town in America.) So while they do panic, they manage to calm down and think of what to do.
People : Bob and his friends are average white males, who have played pretty much every zombie game and have made sure to memorize where the nearest gas-station, market, gun store etc is. They like sports (though zombie games is #1), and Bob likes working out. Let's ignore their family for this question.
Zombies : Most of them are the shambling type, though a few (like 3 out of 10) are the running type.
Question : What is the best plan of action for Bob and his friends ? Lets say that everyone was at Bob's house watching a zombie movie, and Bob has fully fuelled minivan and some baseball bats.
The plan of action should answer questions like these -
- 1) What ranged weapons are the best ? A answer for short-ranged ones has already been given, but even zombie fanatics don't stock up on maces. And baseball bats against a mob of zombies is slightly ineffective. Should they go for rifles or shotguns ? Or should they use pistols ?
- 2) Where should they go first ? Pretty much every zombie-plan includes going to the gun-store, and it will be hard raiding a shop with others people trying to grab whatever they can.
- 3) Where should they camp ? Holing up in a place with other people will be troublesome (especially if they're panicking and ready to shoot others if they think someone is infected)
- 4) What food should they get ? Bob has some canned food, but between the 4 of them, it will run out quickly. Where should he go to loot for food, and what should he take.
- 5) How should they deal with other people ? It's conceivable that someone may beg to join them, only to later betray them or leave them as bait. Or if someone joins them, but has been bitten (and is hiding it).
Also, is it possible for them to have some sort of makeshift armour that protects against zombie bites ? That is, it covers arms and legs.