You are an intelligent species whose sun is very near expiring. When your sun expires your world will be engulfed by it. You are evacuating your planet as fast as possible but you don't yet have enough resources to evacuate the whole planet. As a backup plan you have given every being a space suit and keep them all on the far side of the planet (the side facing away from the sun) at all times. If the sun explodes you plan to use the piece of your planet where everyone is residing as a vehicle of sorts. You explode the planet while, very carefully, accelerating the side of the planet that you are currently on away from the sun. You plan to out run the expanding sun and rescue as many of your fellow aliens, and supplies, off of your floating planet chunk as possible.
- The G forces from the explosion could kill the alien inhabitants
- The inhabitants wouldn't be able to survive on a floating planet chunk
- There wouldn't be enough gravity to keep everyone secured
- all sorts of other complications
- The species has a very flexible / strong skeletal system
- They build shelters that are secured to the ground, have shock absorbents, have air supplies etc. ( This is not an ideal solution because most of them will be gathering supplies and won't be able to make it to their shelters in time )
What would have to be true to make this possible?
Edit: Any solutions are valid—the planet could be a dwarf planet, they could use the core of the planet to fuel the explosion, etc...