What could allow large scale paradrops to be viable against opponents with good air defences in the near future? Currently large scale paradrops just don't. For most western paratrooper forces lack the firepower to do much of anything, although russia & china have mechanised paratroopers so that can be fixed with current technology. However the more difficult issue is that air defences can shoot down cargo aircraft with ease. How could this be changed the near future? The 5 restrictions are:
- You can't just treaty things out of existence.
- It can't make air defences useless.
- It has to be large, battalion to division sized drops, not small SF drops.
- Airborne AFVs have to be able to be used, otherwise you can't fix the firepower when landed issue.
- The planet this on is still earth like it is today so there can't be extreme environmental conditions.
Could large scale airborne operations be made viable again in the near future?