I have quite a few forms of transportation planned out. These include travel via river (riverboats, etc), ocean (ships), land (horses, primarily), teleportation (game checkpoint, others). Also the possibility of the player acquiring wings through a minor faction.
As you can see it's pretty one-sided to surface transportation. And also there are plenty of mountains in my province.
- Perhaps a costly option would do well (whether in actual money or just lack of quantity of said vehicle.)
- There is magic in my game, however limited.
- Nothing steam-punk/mechanical whatsoever. Simple contraptions should be fine (forms hang gliding, zip-lines.)
- I would prefer nothing cliche -- so no dragons. Birds are better, but a bit close to Middle-Earth (Eagles).
- Are there any mythological creatures/vehicles of sorts that fit this question? (preferred Celtic/Norse, if any!)
To sum it up: What are some non-cliche(E.G, dragon), non-steam-punk forms of travel by air?
Thank you all for your answers so far! To add on to my question just slightly, what about non-living forms of transportation? Forget all of the guidelines above except "nothing steam-punk" for this.
Thanks once again. I have decided on a number of choices. I will use a form of hang gliders and ziplines for travel around a mountain, balloons for general travel (however costly for fuel), and a form of bird for other sky travel. Skylarks sound like the perfect type of bird for this, as well.
I am also still thinking about some of the other answers (flying squirrel & valravn being the top).