Here are the facts.
Existence beyond death is an unquestionable fact. Souls originate in the cosmic flow and return to it after death...usually. In very rare cases, a person who has enough will or spiritual power can avoid merging back into the source shortly after physical death. Such rare individuals may form bodies out of ectoplasm, which tend to look a little uncanny. If desperate or malicious enough, these souls may try and possess a person. Soul/body compatibility issues usually means this doesn't work out very well.
The gods are immensely complex and powerful souls dwelling on "islands" within the cosmic flow. The most spiritually attuned individuals, usually priests, can channel the energy of their god. This providence takes on two forms, one of intuitive attuned/knowledge of things under their god's purview, and the ability to bless or curse through influencing luck. Fate, destiny, chance, and why things are the way that they are, are the result of the movements of the cosmic flow. The "gods", being great masses of spiritual power, influence the course of the cosmic flow simply by existing within it. Both forms of providence are stronger when they are used in alignment with that particular god's nature and will.
What I am specifically looking for are answers to the following questions.
- How are the religious organizations likely structured, and how much political influence do they have?
- What are the likely attitudes towards physical death?
- What would funerary practices be like?
- Are bodies just discarded or are they honored for the time that they served as a soul's vessel?
- How do the people practice their faith? How do they honor their gods?