The scenario: an alien crew has a shuttle landed on Earth in the 1980's. Their main ship is extremely damaged and beyond reach somewhere in the Milky Way. Their shuttle cannot escape Earth's atmosphere. They are in an unpopulated forested area to avoid encountering the locals, which would be both a galactic crime and unsafe. Earth's gravity is uncomfortable but livable. Their air composition is similar to ours but with slightly different composition.
The shuttle is mainly for scientific observation, transportation between ships and space stations, and emergency evacuations. Its weaponry is limited to its scanners being adapted into energy weapons. It is designed to survive entry into a planet's atmosphere, but it is not capable of escaping its orbit.
The crew has begun transmitting a distress signal, hoping it reaches a stealth satellite belonging to the galactic republic that Humanity doesn't know about. Humanity is seen as a primitive pre-FTL race and as such their solar system is analogous to a nature preserve. Nobody will come save the stranded aliens if they don't make contact. This galactic republic has done some research and common Human languages are in the catalog for the crew's universal translators.
Their level of technology is somewhere between Star Trek and Star Wars - they have FTL travel, but limited replicator technology (it can't rearrange matter at the atomic level) and no transporters.
So back to the question: what would this shuttle be equipped with to facilitate survival? The gear mostly assumes the use of the shuttle as a home base. Here are things I have come up with so far:
- Training materials. Like videos or holograms with an AI acting as the lecturer. Teaches the crew about survival and the legal ramifications of cultural contamination.
- The shuttle has various scanners built in to study the surrounding environment. They also are able to get biological samples and have them analyzed, which in turn allows them to create drugs and immunizations.
- Atmospheric filters, making the outside air breathable to the crew inside the shuttle.
- EVA suits for the crew and a decontamination area before exit/entry of the shuttle.
- Various rations (similar to MREs) and liquid filtration systems for food and hydration. Cooking equipment. They also have a decontaminated tent to set up outdoors which has a bioengineered fast-growing nutrient-rich algae to farm if the local vegetation is inedible.
- weaponry similar to our survival rifles (except energy-based) and knives for hunting and self-defense. Also, fishing rods, slingshots, nets, etc.
- Various tools like shovels, flashlights, fire-starters, compasses, multitools and the like.
- Power cells for energy devices and solar energy gatherers.
- Medical and personal care equipment.
- Storage and gathering equipment.
- Climbing gear and harsh-weather clothing.
- Entertainment sources.
I eventually want the aliens to leave the shuttle and not need the EVA suits while on Earth, so I imagined that being accomplished in one of two ways after scanning the environment: genetic modification or some form of technological enhancement. For the former, maybe the shuttle AI can develop gene therapy and apply it to the crew via some sort of vector (viruses or nanomachines perhaps). For the latter, maybe a cloud of nanomachines fills their lungs and makes the outside air breathable.
Anyway, are any of these ideas too implausible? What do you think would be in their survival kit?