May it be that following question would fit better in Writers section (and then, I would like to ask for migrating of question there), but I hope that it can answered here, too - because in this story, many parts of world should be described (and thus, many parts of world would be more or less exactly determined).
I recently got idea on another story from my world - journey around the world. Side plan for this story is that both travellers (man and woman, lovers) will see many parts of world, try to live lives of people they shall meet ... and so on. All journey should take ten years, that is surely very long time.
At this I have thought about following reasons:
- Bet - but with whom and of what? (bet would better fit to travelling around within some days)
- Quest - to do what and who should be author of such quest? (quest would not take so long time)
- Kidnapped - nobody would return from kidnapping so long time (or not?)
- Holidays - ten years of holidays?
- Just learning path - a bit recursive problem, what would initiate such journey
But what else may be reason for such journey? Please, write another possible reasons for so long journey - or at least hints for reasons written above.
Edit: (as partial answer to comment by Alexander)
Origin of lovers - The Meadows, country surrounded by massive of the Cloudy mountains
General political situation - calm before the storm; queen Iris rules the Fallen dragon empire (based on two kingdoms united by marriage) as enlightened/benevolent dictator (establishes modern-like schools and modern-like hospitals, brings modern way of healthcare represented by Icefingers' school), The East plains slowly recovers from civil war