Information and Context
I'm working on a story, based 220 or so years in the future in a hard-science universe (where a quantum jump drive has been invented). I was wondering if anyone could give me some information and advice.
This is also my first time doing any project like this.
I plugged some information into this calculator.
Plugged in values:
- Day length: 120 (I want it to be really long)
- Mass: 0.4 (I want less gravity)
- Radius: 0.7 ( ^^ )
- Density: 1.16618
- Minimum Density: 2 g/cm3
- Typical Density: 5.2 g/cm3
- Maximum Density: 11.1 g/cm3
- Actual Density: 6.437 g/cm3
- Radius: 8920 km
- Surface Area: 249.9 million km2
- Roche Limit: 1200 km
- Surface Gravity: 0.82 Gs
- To Orbit Velocity: 5.99 km/s
- Thrust Time to Orbit at 3 Gs: 4.9 minutes
- Escape Velocity: 8.5 km/s
If that's too much information, or not enough, please say so.
For plot reasons, It would be nice if the days and nights were really long. Also, I'd like the planet to be a bit darker / cooler than earth, but still be bright enough to easily see (for humans) on the surface.
- What could the planet's sun / orbits look like?
- How long is viable for a day / night cycle with that sun / orbital system?
If you have any general tips, or ideas, or links to share, please do! Any help is appreciated!
Thanks to all those who gave me advice as I am very new to this!!