My hero lived his usual life until recently, when he realized that Magic actually exists. So far he has been granted levitation for a short period of time and invisibility for several hours.
Both worked perfectly fine. Now, he received a third gift from a magician.
My hero was told, that the immortality works like this:
- The only thing that can actually kill you, is getting your head cut off completely or starve to death.
- Other injuries will still hurt, but everything else will recover itself without the need for surgery.
- To recover, your body will need extra energy to heal. So if you are hurt, you have to eat and drink like crazy.
- Basically the immortality works on the principle of "quick flawless regeneration". Each cell in your body is regenerated perfectly without any pesky side effects, aging included.
- You cannot drown or suffocate. However, your body will need extra energy to work under water or in unbreathable gasses.
- Extra objects inserted to your body (like bullets or daggers) will be absorbed by your body eventually. And yes, that's extra energy cost.
- You cannot get fat. If you eat too much, your body temperature will increase to get rid of the excess energy.
- The magician will check your progress in life after 250 years.
As you can guess, the magician disappeared after telling my hero these basics.
My hero is a 30 year old male, who never had any type of operation which leaves something in the body (like hip replacement or a bone fracture, which needs screws to hold the bone together).
He tried to cut himself and it hurt as usual. The scar seems to be healing quicker than my hero is used to.
My hero still does not believe in magic. Also he does not trust this magician. However, if he is really immortal, he can make some really long term plans.
So, how to test if you are immortal? Yes, you can put a dagger to your heart ... but if the magician was lying (or immortality simply does not exist) that would be a really stupid test...