Story of the universe:
- Humanity develops technology providing virtually free, unlimited energy, having FTL interstellar travel, creating dyson spheres and terraforming worlds.
- All humans are connected via a network enabling free exchange of thought, virtual immortality, consciousness teleportation (move consciousness between bodies, no consciousness cloning)
- There's an event that causes all humans connected to the neural network to die.
- Those that were not connected survived, for example during maintenance or experiments.
- Even then only those that had their body controlled by their own brain and not the network or a device connected to the network (people would do so to free up cognitive resources or perform repairs on the body) could survive.
- Afterwards, connecting to the network causes instant death.
- A relatively large amount of survivors (A random distribution of 20.000.000 people over 5.000.000 inhabited star systems)
- A network of FTL beacons to the nearest star systems (basically a connected graph)
- Relatively common FTL communication and travel equipment
- Mostly starbase habitation
- Very hard access to information and technology details as everything was encoded in the network.
- No food/life support scarcity
- Depletable FTL fuel (assume large amounts initially, but depleting within the next 100 years, spread unevenly, produced by about 500 star systems, which is about 0.01%, in low quantities without maintenance)
- Complex starships unusable, require network access to use. Only touch-controlled interfaces are accessible (primitive and not common).
- People remember only what they knew during the apocalyptic event, so if they had parts of the history "downloaded", they will remember it.
- I do not expect all survivors to survive long term.
- No true AI.
How would the societies after a few houndred years look like? I am thinking specifically about the following aspects:
- What would be the prevalent family model? Patriarchal? Matriarchal? No preference?
- Would there be God(s)?s
- Which vocations would be the most valued and common?
- Should I expect "raiders"?
- What should I expect when it comes to morality? Amoral societies? Judeo-christian values? Buddhism-like values?
- What kind of laws would I expect to form?
- What would be the most valuable commodity?
- What would be discarded as worthless that is now(In real world) valuable?
- What issues would people struggle with?
- Would I encounter for example evil robots that want to eradicate humanity?
- Should I assume they all would desire to preserve their memories somehow? (Audio logs would be common I guess)
- Would they have any reason to inhabit planets?
EDIT: I assume initial population in the trillions, survivor population around 20M
Edit for clarity, will anyway break this up.