@Thucydides If they are wanting to argue that point they should elaborate upon it. This isn't so much an answer as an attempt at wit. I'd love for someone to argue that the messengers of god don't need such material things as weapons, rations, or armor but they'd need to explain why that is in their answer. – sphennings 2 hours ago
How to undertake this? A list of what angels do and how they do it gives us a clue:
- There are angles who lift up and strengthen the saints during times
of trial (Matthew 4:11; Luke 22:43).
- These are also the angels who are dispatched to lead sinners to gospel workers when the sinners’ hearts are ready (Acts 10:3).
- Angelic beings can appear in our dreams to give us God’s directions (Matthew 1:20-24).
- The angels are busy in the re-gathering of Jews to Israel. Thus, the angels also help in bringing about the fulfillment of biblical prophecy (Matthew 24:31).
- Angels will accompany Christ back to earth during His second coming
riding spirit horses (Matthew 16:27; 25:31; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10).
- Angels are the silent witnesses to the confessions of men. (Luke
- God’s laws are given by the angels (Acts 7:53; Hebrew 2:2)
- The tree of life is guarded by angels (Genesis 3:24).
- Men’s revelations are given by the angels of God (2 Kings 1:15; Daniel
8:19; 9:21-23; 10:10-20).
- They impart God’s will as they are obedient to Him (Acts 5:19-20; 10:1-6).
So clearly the Angels are spiritual beings, but more importantly they are charged with helping people by bringing them messages from God. The only "military" duty on the list is guarding the tree of life, and the Angel with the flaming sword who drove Adam and Eve from the Garden is probably the only one doing that job.
The helping people part is important, since the true battle between God and the Adversary is over the souls of men. Angels fight their demonic opponents not through physical combat (which would be silly, considering that they are immortal beings), but through the salvation or downfall of the souls of human beings. Angels therefore are armed with Truth and Love to assist people in finding their way to God.
Angels need no backpacks to do their work.