I want to use a handwavium gravity field generator on my spaceships, but this has several problems.
Generating gravitational fields of peculiar shapes is not a difficult thing to do in this setting. We have graviton generators and space-time sheet modulators to create gravity fields of all shapes and sizes. So that's not the problem.
I also don't want to use "Spin-Gravity" or artificial gravity from thrust for reasons I won't go into here.
But, by generating a field of gravity, even if it only affects everything within the ship, all that mass being accelerated downwards will cause the ship to be pushed down, taking them off course.
If I wanted to counteract this, what would be the best way to do it?
- Superintelligent AI is not available.
- This needs to be as believable as possible within the established tech.
- Established tech includes exotic matter, anti-matter, plenty of power generation, (hydrogen, helium, deuterium and other forms of) fusion, superconductors, advanced carbon allotropes, high content-batteries, and kugelblitzes.
- Resources are not a problem, but the cheaper the better.
- Low gravity is fine, as long as the ship doesn't go off course and the characters and their stuff will "feel" gravity.