I'm back with another question. Apologies if I'm vague, I'd love the opportunity to expand on this. For context, I'm autistic and this completely boggles the pants off of me in general for human romances, so you can probably imagine its like getting jam pudding out of a rock. It does not want to move.
So as we all know, there are loads of different kinds of relationships people can have, like a spouse (romantic/sexual), a parent (platonic/family) or child, friends, etc, etc.
How could I go making something new up? What considerations do I need to make? Humans only have one type of romance (generally), and that's the one we're already experienced in and often the target of in cheesy rom-coms and valentines day deals.
Homestuck touches on four different kinds of romance based on suits of cards known as Quadrants; best friends and the like still exist, but then moirails (diamonds) exist, which is a special and exclusive relationship based on calming each other down and essentially being the 'mom friend' guardian in a world that basically has no real parents. There are types such as that based on positive emotions, and also Kismesissitude, which is basically romance except you literally hate each other instead.
For further information on what I generally mean, there's a link to quadrants here - http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Quadrants .
I'm looking for a way this would work. I know earth romance generally has an end goal in 'reproduction' and someone to 'affectionately spend the rest of your life with' - but would that change if the race has a much longer life span?
The race I'm creating is very warrior and magic focused, with a strong focus on duality - but doesn't tend to believe in monogamous relationships in the same sense as some humans do. The population is basically authoritarian so there is also a strong focus on well, breeding and the like. It controls pretty much every detail; the people who have the most power are abusing it in such a well organised way and layers of secrecy the average civillian has no real idea about.
More specifically, I'm looking for...
- Some form(s) of romantic relationships to possibly base this off
- Variation(s) of romantic relationships.
- One of these relationships is a polygamous bonding similar to some sort of group wedding.
- Another relation is more monogamous, though multiple instances may occur at once (ie. like having multiple friends). Aka persons A and B are together, but persons A and C are also together. Persons B and C are not together, however.
- Similarities to earth relationships between humans are also encouraged for comparison purposes.
- Biologically we're still dealing with at least 2 sexes.
- Nobody sees or feels a need for gender or sexual preference, but the occasional person of this race may still have their own preference.
- There is a high value in combat skills and less in appearance. Aka being good at fighting is '''s*xy''' and so are scars, and looking like an untrained, unfed, and disobedient child is generally met with scorn.
- Magic is composed of different schools, some of which oppose each other and some that complement each other. Maybe I could do something with that?
- The relationships likely arose due to an authoritarian society that's been in control for a very, very, long time - thanks to a series of time loops and a certain long lived being.
- Sustained and safe procreation; multiple males (probably more males to females in a ratio) due to the fact that the females have increased gestation. the planet's wildlife makes it pretty much impossible for one 'couple' to do it alone. (And has done since before they became a civilised society; this may thus result in biological needs.)