The fantasy world of Terrearth is once again threatened by the Shadow, a sentient, but completely unintelligible being composed of Absolute Evil, whose sole purpose is to destroy the world to replace it with a plain of absolute nothingness, in which evil will be the only thing left. The evil will have a physical form in this world, and will be the only thing that will flutter over it forever. However, at any era in which the Shadow occurred, a group of heroes managed to banish the being in an underworld, but they have never defeated it definitively. Now, the Shadow has come back, and the inhabitants of Terrearth do not know how to deal with it. The knowledge of how the heroes of the past times defeated the Shadow are shrouded in a cloak of legend, and therefore it is the duty of the armies of the lands of Terrearth at least to try to limit the Shadow, awaiting the arrival of the heroes.
So, how can humans deal with this cosmic horror? I'm not looking for a way to defeat it permanently (because I know what is), but a way in which "simple" human beings may be able to fight it and contain it.
- Terreath universe is a fantasy world, populated only by humans and supernatural entities like ghosts, lich, ent and monstrous animals. There are no other sentient races apart from humans.
- Technological level is medieval. There is no gunpowder, however alchemy is quite advanced, and allows you to have healing poultice and body booster similar to our combat drugs.
- The magic exists, but is not widely practiced, as it is difficult to understand, and there are no institutions or groups of magicians dedicated to the research and understanding of it.
- The few holders of magical power are druids. These figures are priests scattered in some forest villages, who are dedicated to the study of natural and healing magic, and hand down their knowledge to their children. Druids form a social entity called the "Circle", but it has no political or religious power, and it is only a way to exchange information and knowledge during meetings.
- There are no gods or goddesses, and there are no forms of organized religion. All the inhabitants of Terrearth however believe in one principle, the Good. The Principle of Good is universally accepted by all.
- There are not clerics. There are paladins, who fight evil, but there is no religious figures assimilable to organized religion figures.
- If we should make comparison with D&D Alignment system, every people of Terrearth would be Lawful Good. In the world of Terrearth most evil does not exist. There are no wars, genocide, torture, etc. Some minor crimes exist, but put in place by those who have a relativistic vision of the good. Few are the people who belong to the alignment Neutral Good and Chaotic Good, and are viewed with suspicion by Lawful. In addition there is a nomadic people, whose relationship with other people is quite tense, whose allinamento oscillates between Chaotic Good and Chaotic Neutral.
- There are many countries, but the armies are mainly used to fight crime and the Shadow.
The Shadow Background
- The Shadow is all the evil that man can provoke, and tries to take in the world, not with violent and bloody hordes of his minions, but infiltrating, acting slowly and without emotion.
- The Shadow flourishes in living corroupting them and bringing out the dark side of man. A corrupt man will dedicate himself only to evil actions, paving the way for other infections. However the corrupt do not openly expresses his evil acts. He prefers to work stealthily, and when the opportunity to spread even more evil is ripe, he acts.
- After the Shadow infects all living in an area , the whole area becomes nothing. The only thing there is a dense and impenetrable cloak of pure darkness, which is the physical form of evil.
- The Shadow sometimes manages to create minions made of absolute evil, but they may last only a few days before fading. The Shadow prefer to resort to corruption rather than the creation of minions.
- Human armies have managed to contain the Shadow after it has eaten a large territory on the northern edge of the world, however the Shadow infiltrates more and more human in the ranks.
EDIT The magic is difficult to apply because the only types of magic "socially acceptable are elemental and healing ones, and the only holders of these knowledge are druids, pretty jealous of their knowledge. The mental and arcane magic is opposed and seen as unhelpful. Since no one is devoted to its study and most of the few magicians who master this type of magic are self-taught, this type of magic is not widespread.
The reason for there is an almost monolithic belief system is historical. Before the advent of the Shadow, the world was more or less like ours. Wars, conspiracies and evil spread. In short, there was a gray morality. When the Shadow had appeared for the first time in the world, Terrearth risked being destroyed just because the Shadow attacked aggressively, taking advantage of all the evil available at the time. Some heroes managed to banish it, and the world returned to the usual evil. When the Shadow came for the second time, and was bannished for a second time, the people realized that the Shadow needed evil for his purposes , and established the Principle of Good. Now, it is true that there are different philosophies about the Good (Lawful, Neutral and Chaotic). There is also this nomadic people who while not indulging in evil acts without reason, give no importance to the Principle. But the Principle of Good is universally known to all, and no one would do an evil act, never mind for its own sake. (For evil acts I mean the most serious crimes. Stealing, defraud or deceive someone, if they have no serious consequences, are not considered "evil" by Terrearthians, although they are still punishable by law)