This question follows this one
Keeping the same setting, I am now going to add a 5th class : The Judge
The judge wouldn't hold any direct power (no place on the Elite 4) but he (or they?) would make the decisions in awarding points.
In order to do so the Judge(s) is/are heir to a blood line able to wield the sightstone's magic. As said in the previous question, this world's magic is based on nanomachines aggregates (looking like stones) that answer to spoken orders. Here are the conditions to do so :
- Spilling blood on the stone to activate it (DNA analyze). If you are a member of the appropriate lineage the stone will react to your DNA and activate
- Orders must be given in the surfaceans tongue. Books are scattered around the world containing those words but the Government is trying to keep it as secret as can be and only a few have access to the pages the Inquisitor retrieve from their "crusades"
- The stones expect very specific orders and each stone's capacities are limited to a few "spells"
The sightstone's unique spell scatters the nano-machines across a 3km radius (can be changed) in the air and act as cameras scanning the whole city. The Judge(s) can roam the city in his magic vision (VR ? FullDive ? Which ever suits best the needs of your answer) able to stop or rewind or speed up time in order to witness every deed achieved by every citizen and accordingly reward them based on their resources and how much they put on the line to accomplish this deed.
The Judge(s) is/are kept inside the keep and is/are never to leave. The stone range is limited so bringing the Judge(s) to a battlefield to gain full knowledge of your surroundings is risking losing the most powerful stone known to men.
This setting answers my 2 previous problems :
- being seen to do deeds over actually doing deeds is no longer an issue
- we do not rely on a book but on someone with the wisdom to analyze each situations
The sightstone's power may be changed however you see fit as long this issues do not resurface.
New problem :
Though the Judge does not hold direct power she/he is an all-seeing being that decides the fate of the entire faction by deciding who will be part of the Elite 4. (The people can still decide to dismiss their representative but the one taking over would still be decided by the Judge)
How do you counterbalance the power of the Judge over society ? Or how do you give such a power to one person/small group of people and make sure they won't abuse it ?