I am trying to build a city populated almost entirely by monsters, but I am having difficult conceiving a power structure that can exercise proper control over this city.
Given the evil dispositions of the variety of monsters within the city, what power structure might be constructed by the creators of the city to allow the city to last?
A few points:
- The creators, Mind Flayers, have access to a variety of mind-control magic and require a constant supply of fresh human brains to survive.
- The creators have access to a large variety of magic and labor; they can construct almost anything that might help.
- The world has medieval-level technology.
- The city should be open to all creatures who follow its laws, including humans, dragons, demons, and other monsters. (Structures will be along the lines of How does one design a city meant for creatures of greatly varying sizes?)
- Passage to and from the city is easily controlled because it is underground with several specific entrances.
The problem that I have run into while considering this power structure is that given the large variety of powerful, evil inhabitants, it seems that the city would collapse eventually under a creator-run oligarchy unless these inhabitants are managed well.
How can the creators use their resources to create a lasting, open city of monsters?