This is one of a series of questions centered around living on a giant tree. The setting/scenario is described below:
In my fantasy world, elves live on a giant tree, very similar in structure to a Banyan Tree. The elves live on the branches of this tree, which average ~300 feet wide. The tree itself is wide rather than high, only extending 600-100 feet up. The branches are supported by massive aerial roots, as they are in older banyan trees. The elves can descend the trees to the massive fog-covered swamp below, but rarely do, meaning they have to live off of the tree entirely.
This question deals with the natural resources available to the elves, and what, if anything, they will need to survive in addition to what they already have.
Trade is established with the occupants of the massive fog-covered swamp below. Relations are strained however, and resources gained that way should be kept to a minimum.
Some details of the elves' situation are below:
- Aside from the size, the tree is identical to a Banyan. Aside from providing wood, it also has all the medicinal uses of the Banyan. It also provides fruit. I am open to giving it additional health benefits if they are greatly needed.
- Other plants and trees grow on the giant tree, so there should be no shortage of natural food.
- Water collects on the giant tree in several small lakes, so water is available.
- The giant tree is populated with creatures, so meat, skins, and bones are also available.
- Aside from trade, the elves have no way to access metal or rock (unless they can somehow form on a giant tree, which I doubt).
- The elves require weapons and armor.
What additional resources will my elves need to thrive? Or will they have everything they need?