This is one of a series of questions centered around living on a giant tree. The setting/scenario is described below:
In my fantasy world, elves live on a giant tree, very similar in structure to a Banyan Tree. The elves live on the branches of this tree, which average ~300 feet wide. The tree itself is wide rather than high, only extending 600-1000 feet up. The branches are supported by massive aerial roots, as they are in older banyan trees. The elves can descend the trees to the massive fog-covered swamp below, but rarely do, meaning they have to live off of the tree entirely.
This question deals with the animals that might live on such a tree. In an answer here, @apaul34208 mentioned that redwoods have been known to create bog environments high in their branches, supporting mollusks, crustaceans, and other animals. If a mollusk can get up there, what else could?
What kind of animals could one find on my giant tree?
- The planet is earth like. There is no strange gravity play going on to support the tree. It should be able to support itself via aerial roots, especially since it is not very tall (just really wide).
- The climate is warm-temperate. Think north-California. Disregard how unlikely it is for a Banyan-type tree to grow in this climate.
- The base of the tree is nearly vertical. It shouldn't be a problem for creatures like monkeys, but would be impassable for something like a horse.
- The tree branch supports all manner of flora, including other trees (regular sized), and will have several sources of water collected in pools at various points.
- I'm looking for animals we know, but I am open to a little speculation on variations if you're up for it. As long as it make biological sense and isn't too wild.
- One animal I desperately need is something to replace the horse. There is no way a horse is getting on this tree, so I need something that can travel roughly as fast, can carry at least one man, and is tamable. And obviously can get on the tree in the first place. If this creature is impossible, then I will post a new question with a creature design.