This magical library is old as the history of magic itself, storing scrolls and tomes of all† spells ever devised by powerful wizards and apprentice mages alike. The scrolls are ready to be activated at once, and may be used as a trap. They cannot, however, be activated by the library itself at a whim.
However, this ancient library has no external sensor. It is able to detect presence within its rooms, but has no knowledge beyond if the presence is magical or not (to differentiate between animal and human, mage or just commoner with no magic). The shelves and all parts of the library are its body, but cannot be moved. It knows and feels 'pain' if any part is destroyed. Scrolls and tomes are not included in its body, though.
This library is at a secret location in a desert. Anyone can come in to learn spells within, and many an adventurer has done so, including a few commoners who accidentally stumbled upon it while wandering in the desert. Anyone will have no memory of the library once they leave, but the knowledge and items gained therein will remain with them. Because of this, the place has become a vague legend.
A band of raiders now is trying to raid the library, in hope of gaining the rare and forbidden spells contained within it. These raiders consist of thieves, mercenaries, and mages; as many as 10 people.
How could this sentient library defend itself against these raiders?
- Anyone can learn magic as long as they are capable of understanding the working of the spell.
- Anyone has affinity to magic just as like smart people understand physics or chemistry.
- No mana needed to activate a spell.
- Summoned creatures are both 'permanent' and 'borrowed' from other dimension, including Necromancy.
- Scrolls can be activated without knowing the innerworking of the spell.
- The library is sentient and intelligent, and can communicate telepathically (one-directional via concepts and images, not your daily usual conversation)
- This library has benevolent nature.
- This is the first time someone send a coordinated raid against the library.
† all spells that are documented and presented within the library. If a necromancer creates a new forbidden spell, and no one knows about it, how it works, and no one brings the knowledge to the library, then it is not archived within the library.