I'm going to use this answer as a sort of longer comment:
What you're describing is effectively the end of civilization as we know it if enough people are turned into "gamers". In any event, fecal matter is going to hit a rotating impeller.
Why? have you played an MMORPG recently? Have you:
- witnessed high level players hunting down low level players for the pure fun of it?
- witnessed a group of enemy players attacking a "town" and wiping out all other players and NPC guards/vendors purely for the fun of it?
- witnessed players fighting for loot?
- witnessed players griefing one another?
Right. That's why.
The reason we don't bash people over the head and steal their stuff is because there's laws in place. However, if a random number of individuals suddenly get magical powers such as:
- getting "loot drops" from killing other human beings
- increased "stats" from performing said murders
- are able to gain an insane amount of information by simply cracking a book open
- telepathically communicate with one another
Well .. say hello to your new overlords, or at the very least, the new biggest organized crime family of all time.
How do players in an RPG generally feel about NPCs? They're subhuman, right? Well, that's you at that point, and the "gamers" have magical powers which will allow them to completely screw with the world.