Visiting the Worldbuilding site plays with my creativity and imagination. So I am going to describe the dream I had:
I am member of a different (alien) culture, from a different star system. Also, I am an explorer. Living on the edge, adventure seeker.
The other day, I made a trip around the galaxy, but the hyperspace engine crashed in disastrous way (probably forgot to change oil after 20 000 light years). My on-ship computer did emergency hyperspace leave at the edge of star system, which can support my biological needs. Yes, you guessed it right, it is this star system.
I was able to send "SOS" signal and the rescue mission is on their way. But talk about "speed" ... it will take 30 Earth-years for the rescue mission to come and save me.
I told them, that my on-board systems claim, that it can keep me alive for 2 years, if I keep everything turned on; 5 years, if I keep living at the absolute power saving mode. To make things worse, my on-board computer realized, that Earth is survivable for me, but it has Humans. And they are on technological level high enough to ask them for "clearance to land."
Also, the rescue mission told me clearly: Leave humans as least tech, as possible, do not allow them to disassemble your stuff to jump uncontrollably to higher tech level.
I am in pretty bad situation, am I?
- I need to land on Earth. No other planet in the solar system is suitable for my survival
- I can land in a manner, that only the stuff I wear will remain. I can program my ship to go directly to the Sun, thus disallowing Humans to work on my tech
- I look like human, but for whatever reason, my skin color is blue. So, my looks could be comparable to how god Krishna looks like
- I need to survive on Earth at least 30 years. Earth has compatible biosphere, however, I am not able to eat meat. I can eat only vegetarian.
- My biology is comparable to Human one. I need to sleep, to drink, to eat. I bleed and whatever can kill ordinary human, can kill also me.
- But I want to live
- I am not allowed to offer any technology advances to humans
- But legally, I am required to ask for landing
- My ship can communicate with Earth on the same manner as we are used to (I have radio antenna and my ship computer could decipher any communication incoming from Earth)
- I posses "universal translator" which can make me sound fluent English, German and (for no good reason) Czech
- I am "common traveler". So my knowledge about faster than light travel is the same, as your top from the head knowledge about nuclear power or cancer treatment.
- At this moment, my ship is on level of planet* Pluto. It will take me one year to approach Earth
- Knowing Earth "countries" system, I am allowed to land if one country says "yes". In such case, if there is no common decision (100% votes yes on UN level), I am allowed to stay only in countries which said yes to my landing
- I am law abiding citizen. Behaving against the law is not compatible with my morale. However, I will "push the limits" if my survival depends on it.
- My on board computer tells me, that most of Earth recognizes today as "20th December 2014"
How am I going to make sure that humans will accept me and not kill me in next 30 years?
Also, I do not want to end up in jail, or in Area 51 being interrogated about my glorious technology.
*My onboard maps claim that Pluto is a planet