I am starting a theorycrafting thread in a video game forum. It deals with the creation of a Hegemony created by the descendants of a colony ship that was cut off from returning to Earth (wormhole collapse) and needed to establish themselves in a new part of space.
Link to the thread found here: Artemis Theory: The Artemisian Hegemony
What would be an appropriate growth rate for a space-faring civilization given the following parameters:
- Nearly fully functioning/intact colony ship upon arrival at destination (85%-90% intact) containing all necessary equipment and supplies to establish a colony
- Unable to re-establish contact with Earth or other Earth Colonies;
- Tech level: Space-faring (no warp/ftl capability but ships can travel at 0.1 c), maintain level of technology consistent with humans in the year 2232 in regards to medicine, agriculture, research, manufacturing and processing.
- Time period for growth: Approximately 600 years
- Encountered Predatory Species, Diseases, Social Unrest: Low to moderate chances. Colony would have been cut off so probably would have taken an isolationst stance; excellent medical preparation should keep disesase rates to average or below average; Due to nature of location colonists would have kept civil unrest to a low to moderately low state.
- Starting population 5,000 people (sorry I knew I forgot something important)
Thank you in advance