The question is pretty straightforward:
Why would two species of predator with the same prey cooperate?
I am looking for answers in the following context:
- Limited food supply, which means scarcity of prey and food
- Non-compatible species of predators which can not reproduce with each other
- Localized and small hunting ground, the prey are not widespread and only exist in a small area, the predators can not simply have different territories.
- The predators are roughly equal in number and power, and one does not have the advantage over the other - one can not simply destroy the other or consistently scare it away from prey. Any conflict between predators would be non-deterministic and dangerous for both.
- The prey can not be taken down easily, and multiple predators are required
With the context above, why would they work together? I want them to work together, I just don't know why would they?
I have not yet finalized these predators, I am looking for suggestions, or ways to modify or design them so that cooperation will work - maybe something symbiotic?