First of, a little parenthesis about how my magic works :
- Magic is a calculable energy contained in some alloys and people. It can be manipulated in about the same way as electricity (with conductors and isolation)
- Magic energy can be used as an energy in the same way as oil and is really powerful at that.
- Wizards (people who can create magic themselves and contain it without their body) can transfer their own magic energy into magic batteries.
- Wizards can cast spells, those are some sort of mathematical formulae one must known perfectly to be able to cast. Spells can be designed by non-wizards and some of them are too long to remember perfectly.
- Wizards produce a way greater output of energy than ores. Therefore, they are the one producing most of the energy. Ores are used for all magic related contraption. Such as weapon and batteries.
- Wizards can pass their energy to other Wizards
- There is a way to create weapons simulating spells, using magic energy as ammo. Wizards can use them without ammo, providing their own energy instead.
- Wizards have a limited amount of magic energy per day, it regenerate faster when sleeping and doesn't regenerate much while doing some effort or when starving.
- There is a way to forcefully extract magic from Wizards, but it is painful and can lead to death.
In my world, Magic and Wizards are rare. (About 1 % of the population produce magic energy) Sometimes, you stumble upon bad wizards who keeps using their awesome skills to bother people, by setting them on fire or making them fly at high speed. Those guys need to be punished but how are we going to keep them in ? Even better, how are we going to put them to good use ?
My goal is to create some kind of prison that allow us to :
- Keep our little mages in the prison
- Keep our little mages secure (Need a way to deal with fights between inmates)
- Allow our little mages to have a degree of freedom similar to the one of a regular prison.
- Make money using our little mages (Enough to be self sufficient would be awesome)
- Keep in a reasonable amount of little mages (150 ?)
And then here is our means :
- MOOOONEY !
- About 10 wizards collaborators on site (qualified as battle mages, spells makers or other skills wanted)
- Any number of non-mages collaborators and guards
- Classified weaponry and spells
Here is few solutions I have already considered :
- Keeping our mages sedated. Violates #3 and certainly #4.
- Keeping our mages on crack at all time so that they cant think of spells. Somewhat violate #3 and may be bad for #4
- Forcing them to deliver all of their magic energy under a pain spell. Not a solution as they could still use their magic to retaliate and they could still work together to amass a reasonable power. May then be problematic for #1, #2 and #3
So here is my questions, what can tactics can I use to make this prison ? To narrow it down, Here is some precise question :
- How should I arm guards ?
- How should I build the prison (material) ?
- What should I do with Wizards that keeps making trouble even in prison ?
- (Bonus) Ideas on how to suppress the usage of spells ?