I have a question for those familiar with the dark arts. I am looking for answers from people with knowledge of clairvoyance and psychic abilities (no matter how they came upon this knowledge!) to help with a specific aspect of my fictional world.
I'm trying to base my magic system on 20th century occultism / alternative medicine etc. This is as far as I have gotten. The magic system is:
- Based on Western occult and spiritualist traditions
- Employed directly, without much intervention from helpers or gods from beyond the grave or from other realities. For example, my protagonist uses Tarot cards, which sometimes tell the future, and sometimes they influence the future by creating hexes and curses. She carries them around like any other fantasy character would pack a sword or a pistol.
- Does not drain energy, or not in a dramatic way.
- Might use up magic powders or artifacts.
- It just so happens that some people can do it, and those people can use it as much as they like.
A small amount of more powerful magic exists, based on artifacts and powders. These are heavily controlled by governments and international bodies. Hence, the main characters are involved in smuggling magic powders between various coastlines by sea.
Uses of magic
Although the time period is modern-day, I wish to rid my narrative of modern weapons and firearms.
How am I doing this? Through psychic abiities. The Coast Guard employs psychics, sourced from the military, who are very good at tracking firearms. Which means keeping guns on a smuggling vessel is a sure-fire way to be discovered by the Coast Guard. My characters don't want to get caught. Therefore, they rarely bring guns on trafficking voyages.
My question is:
- How would the Coast Guard psychics go about their jobs?
Surely guns are not the only things they can perceive. I am trying to base their abilities on real ideas of what psychics can do. I figure they are most likely to see/predict things with a lot of emotions attached. Also perhaps things with a connection to death or the afterlife. This might explain why the Coast Guard psychics are especially good at sniffing out guns.
- Are there any models of how a specific psychic ability works, either generally, or where applied (successfully or not) to law enforcement in particular?
I'd like a specific set of psychic abilities employed by a real-life famous psychic or clairvoyant or card-reader that I can use, that would work for the Coast Guard or law enforcement in this context. I feel it's better to have a plausible model of how detection/prediction by a psychic might work, rather than just patch something together to suit my plot. Basically I am looking for something that reads true to people who know about / believe in (practice? wield?) this stuff.