[Edit: I'm not looking for 100% realism. I'm looking for an explanation as realistic as possible, possible with just few exceptions to physics.]
[Edit 2: In my imagination these worlds are different universes and as such not reachable by travelling far. They are similar but not identical to our universe/earth. Parallel indicates that they kind of overlap with our universe, they are parallel to our world, I like to imagine sheets of paper overlapping, and you can just get to another sheet if you rip a hole in your sheet. Or maybe like in 'His dark materials', the universes are here and not here, you'd just need to know how to open a portal.]
I plan to write about several parallel universes, the first being very much like earth including our physics and its restrictions.
Scientists manage to open a portal. My thoughts so far:
- A huge amount of energy needs to be concentrated on a relatively small area
- This might be achieved by matter colliding with antimatter
- There are just the n parallel worlds to which a portal can be opened to, each might require discreet amounts of initial energy to be opened
- The portal/crack might stay open, get bigger or get smaller and vanish. I think the last option is the most realistic
My questions so far:
- Would this work as described above?
- How can it be stablized? My initial idea was that you can put materials through it to stop it from getting smaller, but something like a broomstick would just break or melt and you would need a material that has a high melting point.
- Does the portal need constant energy to keep from collapsing or would maybe cooling whatever material keeps it in place be enough?
- Would it be dangerous to be in proximity to it? Would there be radiation?
- How exactly do the edges of the portal look and behave?
- Did I miss problems that would appear?
- Other options or ideas?
In the end it should be possible for humans to walk through the portal without damage.
(Further info: The other universes are about the same, but have one or two additional elementary particles (similar to ours). So the portal would open to the respective place in the selected world.)
I'd really like to make this as realistically/plausible as possible. Thanks in advance!