In general, my question is this: when two powerful forces battle on Planet Earth, what would human civilization do? Will they pick a side and ask for protection? Will they lay low and try to survive by seeming inconsequential? Would human organization collapse altogether?
The following are information that apply specifically to my world:
In my world, there are two opposing forces--the Yithians and the Demons, described below:
- named after the Yith created by Lovecraft, his stuff is in public domain, I think. Getting off topic.
- understand the structure and can manipulate dark matter, their bodies are a mixture of ordinary and dark matter, making each individual quite powerful and resilient--they can survive a while in space; they can fly by expelling dark matter like a jet plane, they can easily tear through most ordinary matter, and human weapons like bullets can barely scratch them. (They are also more dense than human beings, weighing a couple of tons each, no problem for them of course.)
- the shape of their bodies and capacity of their brains are almost identical to modern human beings, because their ancestors were human beings that were taken by ancient aliens to use as servants. (Their alien masters are now dead.)
- their culture is not determined yet, but survival is probably one of the highest priorities of their civilization, because of their history with the demons.
- Their population is about 1 million
results of experiment-gone-wrong, the demons have an irresistible urge to gain physical power, which is done by absorbing defeated foes or using technologies.
the demons have various body types, consisting of mostly of dark matter. However, by hand-waving the laws of physics, the demons can materialize their dark matter bodies into forms that can interact with normal matter, for another hand-waved reason.
as compared to the Yithians, individual Demons are much more powerful in battle, like a lion compared to an unarmed human being. However, most demons have poor intelligence.
Demons are organized, if somewhat unreliably, by a few highly intelligent Demon Lords.
their exact population is undetermined, and would not be very informative due to the variation among individuals, but certainly more than enough to wipe out the Yithians several times in direct conflict.
The history and conflict:
When the Demons were created, the predecessors of the Yithians were torn apart. With the rise of the Demon Lords, the Demons claimed relics that recorded information about powerful technology, during which process the surviving Yithians lost battle after battle and is diminished in number. It is believed that the last piece of the record is hidden on Earth. The Demons want that record to obtain the technology, while the Yithians are trying to prevent this because it would mean their end.
While busy building the alien civilizations, I forgot to consider the role of human civilization in this conflict. Since traditional human weapons can barely do a thing against either party, they don't have much bargaining power as an ally of war. In fact, I question the very existence of human civilization in such a conflict, perhaps hopelessness and insanity will claim us before the war itself does. I want to know your opinion on the possible future of human civilization in this situation.
To give some context, my world is build with some inspiration from the anime series Bleach, except I put some realism and pseudo-physics in the mix. Bleach never really address how the human world handles the Bleach super-people's impact on society, so I am trying to work out some realistic/meaningful reactions of humanity.