There is a space object heading for earth -- asteroid, rogue planet, what have you. The Smartest People In The World have determined that:
- it's coming right at us
- if it hits us, it's the end of the world as we know it (instantaneous extinction event)
- it's going to hit us
Once scientists have conclusively proven that the space object is The End of All Things, they also calculate when said extinction will occur. The world will end in exactly 512 days.
How do we react?
Clearly we don't have the technology to evacuate the human population to, say, a space ship or another planet. So I would like to know, what technical "solutions" do we have at hand, given today's technology. And by "solutions" I mean: what increasingly desperate things will humanity attempt in the face of certain extinction.
Note that everything we try is going to fail; some things might make it worse. I'm just not sure what we're going to try.
- Our Earth and it's current geopolitical situation. You may assume what you'd like about the resolution of the current US election.
- No magic, space aliens, supernatural x-files stuff
- People are still people and we're all human. We're not all going to cooperate and live happily ever after. (We're all dying in 512 days after all.)
- We are all going to die. The End of All Things cannot be avoided.
- World Ending Asteroid: similar scenario, but we're not getting out of this one alive.