The premise for the the world I'm building is that the Superpowers of Earth lost an interplanetary war with the Colonies of Mars. As a result, most of Earth's governments have either collapsed or have been reduced to third world countries. Some communities are reestablishing themselves, one of them is the City State of Philip Island (better name pending), located east of the ruins of Melbourne, Australia.
At the center of the city is a solar thermal tower that collects sunlight from heliostats placed on the rooftops. My question is: what would it be like living underneath that thing?
- They have managed to salvage technology from before the war, including sophisticated drones and 3D printers that can build anything from power tools to housing complexes.
- They have highly organised scavenger teams that bring in materials and replacement parts.
- In terms of food and water they are mostly self-sufficient, but still rely on trade from other communities.
- Most of their buildings, including the solar tower, are printed from recycled concrete and recast steel.
- The solar tower isn't their only source of energy. They also have salvaged wind turbines placed along the coastline, backed up by wave generators and a network of large batteries dotted around the city.