In my world there exists supernatural human-like beings that can use a sort of magic to fight. How it works and what the exact limits of this magic are isn't important for the battle, so I won't write it. What is most important is the scale of destruction. The powerful beings are able to destroy houses without much effort. Battle between two very powerful beings can annihilate a whole district of a city, but beings at this power level are very rare. Most fights end with major damage to one, maybe two buildings.
Given this, is it possible to deceive human civilians about what caused destruction on that scale? If yes, how?
Some important things:
- The goverment knows about these beings and they are trying to hide all effects of battles.
- Supernatural beings are trying to hide effects of battles. They try to avoid using urban regions as arenas, but it's not always possible.
- There is a sort of magic that alters memory, but it can't be used on a mass-scale.
- There are no magic barriers around fighting supernaturals.
Edit with answers to questions:
- Magic vary a lot. Supernaturals can create fireballs, shoot lighting, for short time control human mind, alter their memories (but for single persons, can't be used on mass-scale, no influencing people before hand.), slow time. It can also heal people, but only some supernaturals can use healing. No rebuilding with magic.
- Goverment have some special units which monitor cities and try to get info of battle as fast as possible. Most of the time they know about it when fight is about to end or short after. Battles are short (it's about 10 minutes). If battle is really intense, they know it after ~5 minutes. Goverment is standard, current democracy, but special unit for supernatural cases can influence media indirect and without much effort.
- Supernaturals aren't organized so they covering up ends with trying to get to calm and nice place, away from human, before unleashing magic.
Sorry for poorly asked question. It's way more complicated than answering, heh.