I am living in a society which considers autonomy over one's own death a basic human right. That means killing someone is very, very bad, no matter the circumstances. Our society is strictly against the death penalty, and also opposed to law enforcement using deadly force. But at the same time we believe that everyone should have the right to end their own life through suicide if they choose so.
I was tasked with designing a maximum security prison for the worst of the worst criminals of our society. Most are convicted to multiple life-long sentences. The human rights activists want to make sure that the inmates have the right to commit suicide. The politicians also agree: Keeping someone in prison is expensive, so the earlier they die, the better for the tax payer. But most inmates are very dangerous and inmate-on-inmate violence is unfortunately very common. How can I design a way for inmates to commit suicide which can not be abused?
- The suicide method must be available to all prisoners. When a prisoner sincerely makes the decision to end their life, they must be able to do so within 24 hours.
- Inmates must be unable to physically force another inmate to commit suicide (driving someone to suicide psychologically is something different, of course)
- Inmates must be unable to use the suicide method to injure someone, use it to escape, smuggle contraband or compromise the security of the prison in any other way.
- Prison personnel must not assist with the suicide, so just asking to be executed is out of the question (assisted suicide is only legally possible when a person is physically incapable to commit suicide due to a medical condition)
- The guards are trained and equipped to subdue inmates with various non-lethal methods, so provoking a guard to shoot them won't work either.
- If possible, the suicide method should be humane and painless.
- I am on a budget, so nothing which is so elaborate that the cost would be prohibitive.
Tech level: present day.