Intelligent Life how do these guys define it?
Being intelligent can have a lot of different meanings. It depends on what the Engineer (The person who wishes to create the planet) defines it as. For the sake of simplicity I assume that the engineer defines intelligence as:
- The ability to work together
- the ability to imagine
- Thinking power
- Social etiquettes and mannerism
- And a whole bunch of other factors
This is the stuff the Engineer looks forward in his species and now starts to think what kind of a planet he would need. And next.
Lets start with life. We will add intelligent later
What makes life evolve on a planet. Only the presence of water is not enough to ensure life. One needs a lot of things. If the Engineer belongs to a Kadarshev type III (or possibly higher) civilization he (Probably) has seen a lot of planets and knows what kind of a planet is necessary for life. Though life across the universe is different it needs some basic features that is
- Just the right temperature
- Not too left Nor too right stick in the middle (The Goldilocks Zone)
- A natural satellite for orbital stabilization
- The planet should be a bit away from the asteroid belt also it should have a Jupiter like planet nearby to effectively vacuum out all the little asteroid meanies who wish to endanger life at the planet
- All in all something like our planet would work but since this is another civilization we are talking about a possibly Type III civilization the Engineer would have a lot of choices from his civilization's vast repository of knowledge. Therefore he is most likely to create something that mostly resembles either his home planet or the planet which according to their records has the greatest bio-diversity
- Also atmosphere should be composed of organic molecules so that life has the basic materials to at least start with
- The planet must be just the right size. Not too big or it becomes a gas giant nor to small or it will be just a larger than average rock
- Another very important thing is a star that should not go nova before intelligence even comes to the planet. something like our sun or even possibly a red dwarf with amazingly high lifespan would work.
This is pretty much I think one should look out for evolution of life but if it is the engineer's first try he would definitely try something like his own home planet's past composition. Also if he is allowed to sow the seeds of life. he may even give it a boost by putting in some bacterium and plant life. but strictly nothing remotely intelligent.
We got the life. What about intelligent
Intelligence as you might know might have evolved many times on this planet. Also the Engineer is aware of how life including intelligent one(s). has evolved on his planet. But note The first time intelligence arises it is fairly slow. For instance the first nearly intelligent life I think if you could call it that were dromaeosaurus. Scientific evidence suggests that dromaeosaurus could plan communicate and execute the plan. That puts them very close to being intelligent but they took like a lot of time to evolve on this planet. Sadly (or fortunately for us) a big rock wiped those silly little dinos of the map so that mammals could come in and colonize the rock they now called earth. But this time intelligent life took exponentially less time to evolve. just 65 million earth years.
So whatever your Engineer Guy the first time intelligent life evolves it is not going to be fast and once the planets ecosystem is up and running the Engineer guy should let it play out on its own. Because interrupting with your seemingly godly powers into a world filled with chaos and randomness is not a good idea. Also as far my thinking goes. once the Engineer has set the seeds of life he must not intervene much. unless his intervention is to save the planet from utter destruction. Because the Engineer wants life in all its myriad colors it is expected that he is patient and allows the drama to unfold in its own time so that true life continues evolving on his created planet
Several Intelligent species on one planet.
Intelligent species are competitive. They once evolve would be very quick to use their intelligence to their advantage. They probably would be able to learn who is their competitor and if they ever found out that there is another species evolving on their own planet they would probably go to war and even if they manage to settle the things diplomatically their stability is not going to last.
think of the factions this world has gotten split into just because of beliefs and ideologies. Now think what might happen on a world where there are 2 or possibly more intelligent competitive species. It is possibly not going to be pretty
Several species over several Planet
Brilliant Idea. Due to these species being spread over planets These species wont be able to discover each others existence until they developed at least Radio wave or satellite technology. and if they have done so they definitely have a diplomatically and politically stable situation on their planet and are diplomatically and politically sensible enough to handle such experiences like meeting other worlders. This is probably one the things the engineer might go for. In order to come up with several intelligent life forms