Are there asteroids, comets or any other type of astronomical object that we can control, so we can determine its direction?
Just think about the possibilities. With the right astronomical object we might even be able to get to Mars, with all the equipment and supplies we need!
- Land a spacecraft what will use the resources from the astronomical object as fuel.
- Put it in an orbit around the earth so we can put humans and all the equipment we need on the surface of the astronomical object.
- Terraform the astronomical object or create a habitable environment.
- Move the astronomical object out of earths orbit.
- Enter an other planets orbit like Mars.
- Launch the ARV (Astronomical object Return Vehicle) spacecraft with humans on board.
So yeah, it's definitely not going to be a piece of cake. But such a "spacecraft" with enough of the resources needed for such a trip would less for a very long time. Even longer if we don't have to use all resources from the astronomical object to control it (e.g. by using a EmDrive).
Other benefits of using an astronomical object:
- Enough space to store about anything needed.
- Shelter from solar radiation.
- Grow food in those shelters.
- Service as a spacecraft garbage collector.
- ...more to come? :D
Dangers and drawbacks:
- If we loose control over the astronomical object it might crash into earth causing a disaster what could wipe out all life on earth.
- Landing a spacecraft on a comet turns out to be very difficult according to the ESA's Rosetta mission.
- If we've to use the astronomical object its materials for fuel:
- We've to know how and what to mine on the astronomical object before sending anything up there.
- We've to mine quickly and get enough resources so we can get in and out of orbit, before it passes by or crashes into the planet.
- ...that's all right? xD
Please let me know what is and what is not possible by answering this question. For suggestions on my idea please use the comment area.