A type of species is not defined yet. It can be the insect like bee, slime like oak moss or AI.
- There is a hive-mind species, but its hive mind is not queen/king/mastermind. Each individual in the colony connect to each other using a protocol code (some kind of password that only allow individual in the same colony connect to the network). The protocol code is bounded by DNA (or anything with same functionality) prevent merge, exchange individual between colonies .The consciousness of each individual make up a hive mind for the colony.
- The connection range is limited between individual. Thus, a colony can be distributed into many clusters when groups of them stay apart. (minimum 1 individual each cluster)
- The connections are continuous and almost instantly (no delay).
The species use its hive-mind to gather and share information (and knowledge) (Ex: when an individual see something, all others in the same cluster know.) and coordinate action.
- The hive-mind may not require for the survival of each individual, but greatly depend on number of individual in a cluster.
(ex: a whole colony which is big enough can become a civilization of sentient species, but when a group from that colony is separate, that group is no more than a wolf pack)
Here is my question.
1. I would like to know this kind of hive-mind sound reasonable.
2. Is there any works of fiction (novel, movies, lore, ...) or real-life example of kind of species I describe above ?