On the internet, I saw a post that the scientists are testing a drug that makes you feel the passage of time differently and that you can feel like 50 years passed in a day.
Such drug should be used for prisons, so that you could drug a prisoner and make him do his time in much shorter time. So you waste a little money for imprisoning someone and also do not waste productive age of someone.
Lets imagine this drug exists and works just fine, because it's made from handwavium-unobtainium with bit of ijustmadeituptainium.
Also, let's imagine that such drug has been already tested and "yesterday" (Earth, current tech) the politicians of USA decided that this drug will be used on people who are lawfully sentenced to prison from tomorrow.
Does this drug change crime rate?
Some background info:
- You can control the dose of a drug in a way, that person taking the drug can feel like passing 5 - 50 years in prison in one day. (5 subjective years is lowest dose, 50 is highest) with lowest step of 1 subjective year
- This drug has no side effects
- Once you take this drug, there is no way in altering the drug. So if you were prescribed/sentenced 20 years, you will personally feel 20 years passing. There is no "antidrug" to cancel this in the middle.
- Effect on body is, that person taking this drug falls asleep and sleeps for 24 hours and has very vivid dream of being of prison for X years
- Content of a dream is same for all: Usual prison life, but without being raped or beaten up
- Yes, that means someone has to hydrate you and maybe inject some glucose in you, but also if someone does not take care of your body, you wake up dehydrated, hungry (and having "accident" in your pants). But I hope we all agree this cannot plausibly kill you.
- People sentenced for less than 5 years can choose if they go to jail "normally" or if they take 5 year dose drug and be out in 24 hours
- Currently imprisoned people can decide if they serve the rest of their punishment "normally" or should they take the drug in dose for the remaining years
- Newly imprisoned people sentenced 5 years or more must take the drug. There is no option of being in prison "normally"
- At time being, the drug can be either injected or taken orally in form of a pill