In a medieval-like setting, I want to design a few melee weapons (from non-medieval settings) with the following premises :
Each weapon has 2 states : Blank, Wielded. (with a known surface color for each state)
- Blank = currently waiting for a worthy wielder.
- Wielded = a chosen is currently wielding its weapon. The color change is significantly different.
Revealing a chosen :
In its Blank state, a weapon is waiting for a worthy wielder.
If the wielder is a chosen when he takes the grip of the weapon with his naked hands, the weapon will change its color.
Characteristics of a weapon :
Aside from the change of color, the weapons have nothing that makes them immensely better than others weapons. We could say that they are made of a very refined metal (or carbon fibers, why not), but they won't last forever.
The weapon can be a little worn out and still keep its color thingy, but past a certain limit of deterioration, it returns to its Blank state forever.
Perks of being chosen :
It has been stated in the most famous legends (in some way) that the weapons exist and each chosen wielder have to take the lead of some important group that worship the weapon. Their name will stay in the history of the group, and the whole scope of the group.
Said group can either be known to the public or not, but everyone should know about the concept of being chosen.
For the people inside that group, the weapon is the tool that will supposedly lead them to fulfillment through the decisions of its wielder, so it's a lot about executive responsibility.
By the way, 1 out of 100 000 persons are chosen, and there exists approximately 10 weapons in total, so you have a 99.99% chance of being not chosen at all (and zero chance of being chosen by 2 different weapons)
If 2 chosen ones are found for one weapon :
When this happens, It's up to the cult to set up a duel between the two potential leaders, nothing else happen around the weapon. It just says to the wielder if he's chosen to lead the group or not.
But how ?
Now is the time to fill in the gaps. No magic, only technology (from our time if possible) :
- the conditions : What conditions are required to be chosen ? could be a combination of digital prints, DNA sample, added randomness, etc ... but it has to be not too slow while determining the result (~5-10 second)
- the color : What material can change its color when wielded, given some sort of input ? (grip, electric pulse ?)
- bonus : the legends Could they persist in history, given that the weapons in themselves aren't that special besides what has been told ?