To the surprise of everyone except for several now dead military analysts, Futurestan lost the war with OBF. This is probably because the dumb rioters that were catapulted into space brought with them the knowledge necessary for the average (single) emotionless super soldier to defeat the robot menace via EMP-otov. Also, having made more mistakes to learn from, the Democratic People's Republic of Futurestan realized they probably should not have removed happiness from the people who hold guns in their hands professionally.
That being said: one of the conditions of their surrender was to probably never have a standing army ever again. For their own good. That's literally how the second amendment of their constitution reads. So now they have all of this emotion removing super soldier equipment (cloning beds, genetic modification sponges, and improperly grounded behavior modification coat hangers) along with the equipment to store a personality on one or several 3.5 inch floppy disks, but no war machine to feed. AND THAT'S WHEN IT HAPPENED!!! A genetically advanced super archaeologist who definitely had happiness this time discovered an ancient SI magazine. Yes magazine, for those who don't know New South Yellspeak. In it, it talked of these things called "sports".
ACTUAL IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Assuming that they could actually understand the rules of the sports of today: how would sports change when the body was no longer a limiting factor? What I mean is: they can clone and genetically modify human bodies then download people into them via 1 - 10 floppy disks and some simple shell commands. How does this change sports?
KEEP IN MIND:
- Disemboweling and otherwise maiming people still makes the average person sort of squeamish. Blood is okay. A knee facing the wrong way not so much.
- Players bodies are still squishy. Concussions and stuff still effect them. A sufficient enough concussion can make data overwriting in the brain impossible.
- It takes a non-trivial amount of time to back-up a player onto a disk(s), so they can't just back them up between periods or whatever. Between games probably.
- NO. DOWNLOADING. KUNG-FU.
- No robots. Even if the state religion of Futurestan didn't forbid robots learning things EVEN HARDER THAN BEFORE, the Church of Bob, which most robots and AIs belong to, forbids participation in sport. And Futurestan owns the governing bodies of all sports.
- Assume they have access to Sports Illustrated magazine from its inception to present/near future (think 2020 cutoff).
- They are still human resembling. They can increase body mass, bone density, and Daniel Bryan-esque baby necks, but no hands where they would not generally have hands.
- Memories and experience can get backed up. But you would be sacrificing practice time for all that backing up and if a person learns something amazing in one play then suffers a massive concussion it all goes into the toilet.
- No one gets eSports. That is not what Bob is for.
Bonus points: if they could fairly easily go from professional athlete to super soldier without pointy electrified things.