In Noviolenstan, police are required to enforce the law with their words, not their fists or any other violent means. If you don't pay your speeding tickets, a police officer will come and explain why speeding is wrong, and why you need to pay the speeding ticket as punishment for what you've done. If you rob a bank, police will convince you to give the money back and to come to jail. When in jail, there are no locks, but the wardens convince you to stay for the term of your sentence.
If you resist arrest of persuasion, the police will ramp up their tactics, such as bringing in sad documentaries about what your specific crime does to society, and bringing in advanced moral philosophy. In the most extreme cases, they may bring your priest, or even worse, your mother, to the crime scene to convince you that what you are doing is wrong.
What affect does this have on society:
- Let's not consider military yet
- The police will never use physical violence or restraint
- Police receive training in ethics, moral philosophy, persuasion, psychology, and related fields
- Distribution of philosophies and ethical systems that encourage illegal behavior is strictly prohibited, considered to be a criminal weapon. Anyone caught with such a system will be told to go to jail for 20 years minimum.
- There are many edge cases involving the advocacy of the repeal of laws, since thought systems that encourage the repeal of laws often can also be construed to also encourage breaking them. To help mitigate the change of your movement to get a law repealed of being illegal, you often must emphasize that you only want to change the law, not break them if they are not repealed.