As the question says, how do you establish a spy network in a medieval world?
Magic is also included.
- 10% of the population in the world are magicians.
- There are existing magic universities.
- Magics are restricted to 4 elements. (fire,water,earth,wind)
- No healing magic.
- Magic emission is detectable depending on how sensitive a magician. 3 meters is the absolute Sphere of detection.
- theres no silencing magic but it can be achieve by noise eating potion from alchemy.
- no direct magic can be used to send messages quick but alchemic homunculus built birds can be used instead. (Only the merchant knew this kind of way of passing message everyone needs a messenger to pass message or mail birds who are not as fast or enduring as homunculus birds.)
The leader of the spy network is a merchant whom not many knew but very well established in and outside the country with huge wealth backing him up.
The use of the spy network is the following:
- Find blackmail materials against nobles/senators in and outside the country.
- Information about troop movements of each noble/politicians including navy of the country and neighboring countries.
- Trade information.
- Map information.
- Neighboring country situation.
- Spread of rumors.
- Spread of propaganda.
- Ignite rebellion/civil war outside the country.
- Scouting of notable people to join the network or be recruited in a certain political faction.
- Spread dissent among the populace and army.
- Assassination contracts.
So how will I create a spy network to achieve all of the above, at the same time no one will know that the merchant is the head of that spy network?