I would like some fighter to use chains as weapons, I already have the evident pro and con of the weapon set out, but I need help to see if that weapon would be useful or quickly abandoned, even when only against infantry.
What would be top notch for me is a chain ~1m to ~1.5m long, with a weight put at the end (think a long poi) and dual wielded.
- Can pass through some parade/shield and strike (depending on the length of the chains)
- If short enough, is equivalent to a flail.
- By putting the weight on fire, it can have a psychological impact
- Defence is almost non existent.
- You can't fight easily more than a single opponent at a time.
- You need time to "restart" the weapon after almost each strike.
What modification can be made to the unit carrying that weapon / to the weapon itself to make it useful?
The setting is medieval fantastic, basic firearms (black powder handgun/musquet) are available, but too expensive to see in extensive use.
Magic exists, and can be used to handwave some modification/element, but I'd like to keep it for specialized units.
The users are mercenaries, usually fighting against other mercenaries, sometimes against small detachment of professional army/wildlife.