In Chinese folklore the dead live in a society much like our own while waiting for reincarnation. One notable exception is that that the government is that of the Yama Kings.
The living can send their ancestors all kind of things (food, clothes, house, money) by burning the paper model of those things.
However, the living burn a lot of fake money - more so than food, clothes or houses - and according to folk belief the dead can get hungry if none of their descendant burn any food. So anyone who died without descendants, or who becomes forgotten will most likely go hungry.
- There is trade in the after-world
- The goods from descendant go directly to the receiver
- The after world is like a mirror to the real world: all type of building, machine, factory, land, farm... exist, but all of them belong to Yama king, who lend them to the population like a feudal lord.
- All material in after world is one time use like real world material, except land do not get poorer.
- A real world tree is correspondent to a after world tree: if the real tree is cut down and turn into a plank, the tree in after world is also turn into a plank and can be use by a mirror machine by a ghost, but if a ghost cut the mirror tree before the real tree is cut, the mirror tree and real tree no longer have any link.
- No animal ghost.
- The dead might provide services such as protecting the living, working for the Yama Kings, etc.
- Let 's say that the dead wait for about a quarter of their life span for reincarnation or ascend to higher plane (or lower plane). So a child only stay there for some year, while the old wait for decades.
- Their spirit body is like a healthy human for their age. No wound or bad body part, only old body part. No sickness, too.
- The dead can learn, and they have feeling, too. So they fell tired after work for a while. Although they can work more, the feeling accumulate further until it became unbearable and they stop the work.
- If they continue to use the money sent by descendant, will there be great inflation?
- Are they going to use that as money, or use other things as money?