I'm writing an autobiography of my life in the post-Zed world. Now, I think the effects of the Zeds have been obvious – total obliteration of any worldwide infrastructure, severe depopulation, turning most or all major cities and even smaller ones into zombie-ridden hellscapes. Nowadays, any area with a population over fifty is either very well cleared or doomed.
Now, when the zombies emerged and conquered the world, I wasn't there; I was on a small island in the Pacific, starving to death. I only saw the aftermath from after a few months had passed, with zombies still covering the planet and only scattered enclaves. What I do know is this:
- They can form packs, sticking together even when there's no immediate prey
- They can be affected by just about anything a human can except poison and disease, though they don't feel pain. This means that e.g. tasers work to stun, as would cutting off its arm to kill eventually, and they eventually die of starvation or thirst if they can't find anything to eat or drink.
- They can learn basic tasks (climbing stairs, swinging a crowbar, jogging badly) but not complex ones (firing a gun, using a sword well, talking)
- They will, on their own, hunt for and scavenge food and water, though they won't share with members of the pack.
- They all have pale green skin, and are cooler to the touch than humans (assuming you can touch one without dying!) so they're easy to identify.
- They've never been seen to mate, and as far as our scientists can tell, are sterile.
If you think I forgot to mention something, feel free to mention it below.
Now, my question is this: How did the zombies win? You'd think that humanity would have pretty quickly organized an army and killed the zombies easily, given that we can do things like climb ladders and drive tanks and they can't. What happened?
Out of character:
I'm willing to change some aspects of how zombies work, but I'd much rather use what I've specified here if possible. If I didn't mention it, feel free to assume it can be whatever you want it to be.
Also, I don't need the zombies to stay alive, I just need the initial devastation. Specifically, I need:
- Phone lines, internet, etc. down, though reparable
- The power grid disabled/destroyed
- Long-distance travel to be hazardous for a few years at minimum
- Major cities to be emptied
- Most places to be empty of humans, though other life is fine.
- Only a (relative) few holdouts left of humanity
Anything extra is a bonus.