Centaurs are amongst us in modern-day society, but for the sake of decency they wear pants when in public. Whether or not a person, whether they are horse from the waist down or not, does so in private is their right to choose. From what I know about centaurs and the field of trouser engineering this carries a few problems:
- Centaurs can't reach back far enough to pull their pants up over their rears and they don't always have someone nearby to help them, so they need some kind of tool that allows them to do this. Failing that, they need a system different from what humans use to fasten their pants.
- Centaurs have tails. It is uncomfortable to tuck them into their pants, so there bust be a hole for the tail.
- Said pants must cover all of their legs, for both they and the humans decided that pants that just cover the hind legs would look silly. If possible centaur pants are a single piece, but if there is no other way there could be front pants and back pants: the front pants are put on first with a waist around the horse body that goes a bit towards the back, and the back pants have their waist go over this. It's like tucking your shirt into your pants. But instead of a shirt you tuck your pants into your pants.
- In case that a centaur needs to use the bathroom, the pants must be able to be loosened so that they can use the toilet with ease. Toilet stalls and other such places are large enough to accommodate a centaur, but having enough space to completely remove the pants might be difficult (imagine removing your own pants in a rather small toilet stall). Whatever such a toilet might look like is for another question.
- They have horse "bits" in the back, but not human "bits" in the front. So in the front there's only the usual muscle and skin there.
- Hooves need not to be covered. These are pants, not (horse)shoes. But they need to fit over them. Somehow.
Would such pants be possible? I know that they are more difficult to engineer (and likely less practical) than skirts or other such coverings, but I am looking for an answer that covers this issue like pants.