We've made an important discovery. With the power of unobtainium and handwavium, a highly advanced species that lives in higher dimensional space has provided us a room on Earth that has its own passage of time. It's a gift to humanity, so an international agreement has been made to ensure that it's used properly.
The doorway can't be moved and it can't be destroyed.
Here are the rules and magical properties the advanced species has laid out:
- When you enter the room, that room exists only for you and whoever enters the room with you before the door is shut. Once it's shut, if someone enters the room again, they get a copy of the room that exists only for them, and so forth.
- Time continues normally within the room, but when you exit, it's as if you were only in the room for a brief moment. You continue to age within, so if you're in the room for 20 years, to outside observers you just aged 20 years within moments.
- When you exit, the advanced species has ensured your safety from collision with other people who are exiting by placing your own unique exit door in a safe place (like your home).
- The room contains a library of every book on Earth. When a new book is published (and has a record of it like ISBN or entry on Arxiv et al.), the library instantly has a copy. When you enter, it instantly has the latest copy of the internet, as well. So you can access every website and every subdirectory, but it won't get updated until you exit and come back.
- Materials in the room stay in the room. You never run out of food or water, but the only things you can take out are things that you brought with you.
- You can't communicate with the outside until you're back outside.
- Physics holds within the room. You can hurt yourself and die in the room (and if no one came in with you, you can never be retrieved) and you can destroy things in the room, but if you leave and come back, everything is back to normal.
Edit - I've added some additional properties to answer some questions.
- The exit door cannot be entered. You must take the trip to enter again.
- The room is powered so you can bring in your own computer (and yes, supercomputer components) or robot. Retrieval of the robot would have to involve the robot having enough intelligence to exit on its own since you can't communicate with it from the outside.
- You can write things down on a notebook and leave with the notebook you brought and the writing will be maintained as long as you use a writing tool that you brought with you.
Dimensions and Amenities
- The library is sequestered in a long rectangular space (that always grows) with advanced moving parts that bring books of topics or titles you want close to you when you look for them. No one's ever been to the end to measure its size.
- The main room is 10000 square feet and has a bed, a desk, and a wall mounted computer that runs the highest graphical/computer power available in the Nvidia/AMD market. The creators would rather you bring your own supercomputer. It's a fresh install of HandwaviumOS that can run any file or program. The internet is local and cannot connect to the outside world.
- The kitchen is 500 square feet and contains a refrigerator which contains any food you tell it to contain. The creators have a lot of resources off-dimension.
What effect would this have on society? How would it influence science and technology and affect the future growth of our civilisation or problems that we face today?