One of the main problems with creatures that they have tentacles instead of manipulating paws or hands. This isn't a big problem for developing sapience, but it is a problem for entering the realm of tool making. So I asked myself How can I have a space faring species than has tentacles but still can make tools? my solution was to make them have complex mouth parts, like a praying mantis mixed with a spider. these would be controlled like any other body part and would have the job of eating and tool making. How realistic is this mouth system on a sapient creature around the size of a dolphin(minus the tentacles)?
as to frostfyre's request here is some details of my species
- Their torso is roughly the size of dolphin.
- they have a total of 10 tentacles; 6 where their tail would be if they had one, and 4 along their body.
- The tentacles along their body end in a sort of psuedo-fin.
- their gills are along the side of their body.
- they live in warm climates.
- for defense they have a deadly combo of electricity(located in buds along their underbelly) and ink if the electricity fails.
- along their back are ridges similar to a sharks.
- their lower tentacles are very strong and would bleed very profusely if they were cut.
- their upper tentacles are thinner but more controllable, they are the second highest area of sensory input.
- their pseudo-fins look like a large flat claw at the end of the tentacle but it is made of cartilage and covered in skin.