The language tag challenge did remind me something which always baffles me on "Star Wars" franchise: Why on Tatooine would intelligent androids use beeping for communication?
So I call you, fellow Worldbuilders to help me create more plausible Star Wars droid:
What language would droids use to communicate with each other?
Except usual Star Wars universe please accept these assumptions
- The droids are created on many planets
- Android creation is relatively easy. Even 9 year old kid can build a droid
- The droids are compatible to some extent with regular ports (especially these used by Imperium on Death Star)
- However, you cannot connect "port to port" if you are in hurry
- Any droid can produce any sound which is inside human audible spectrum
- However, that's their only way of "ranged" communication. They do not have radios or lasers (except when equipped with blasters) and cannot produce "sound" outside audible spectrum
- A droid will meet other droids regularly and need to interact with them
The androids are "general purpose AI" by our standards and are able to learn in same (or faster) pace as normal kid. Also, it is safe to assume that just built android comes up with standard OS (Android, probably? Pun intended) preinstalled.
While droids can communicate with their masters, I think that to communicate amongst themselves, they would eventually come up with some language. But would that be beeping?
Thanks for help and if you feel giving this question better title, feel free to do so
EDIT: After first two comments, just for clarity: I am not asking why is R2D2 beeping. I am asking if any Star Wars android would beep given assumptions above