Suppose that nowadays Titan Class Battlestar drop out from FTL(Fast-Than-Light) near Jupiter.
Its FTL drive was heavily overloaded, stops working, and need serious repairs (at least 6 months + gathering necessary resources). The ship has although fully operational Sublight propulsion which is convenient for intra-solar system travel, but cannot be used for travel outside of a solar system as the time to arrive at a destination may exceed the fuel supply of the ship or the lifetime of the crew that fly the ship.
- ship crew: approx 9k (including 1.2k marines, 1.5k pilots) pretty high morale
- water reserves: 180 days
- food reserves: 1 year when rationed
- fuel: max range of diameter of our solar system
Battlestar is basically carrier so it has:
- 2 flight pods
- 4 landing decks
- 120 Raptors: short FTL jumps(but not so powerful to return home), atmospheric and outer-space) armament: Nuclear missiles(max 6), Conventional missile pods, Gun pods, twin tail-mounted four-barrel Gatling cannons
- around 400 Vipers VII no FTL capability, atmospheric and outer-space, armament 3 forward-firing kinetic energy weapons, 2 missile-launchers under each wing(nuclear missile capability)
- 30 marine assault shuttle (70 equipped marines + 2 pilots)
- 5 repairs ships
- electronic countermeasures
- 50 primary forward batteries
- 106 medium twin turrets
- 1684 heavy CIWS
- numerous point-of-defense cannons
- missile tubes(at least 60 nuclear strategic missiles 10Mt)
- around 300 tactical nuclear missiles for Vipers/Raptors (200kt)
- viper and ammo construction facilities
- ship can land on planet if necessary
The ship cannot contact any other colonial ship and call for help. First the captain wants to communicate with Earth authorities, exchange some of technology for resources(food, materials) repair FTL drive and return home. But something goes terribly wrong and he does not even want to hear about any form of cooperation. The question is with one ship is he capable of conquer our planet. With conquer I mean to destroy any organized form of army capable of air/sea/land operation and establish temporary base(if yes, where it should be). I would like to hear what possible scenarios he has to show dominance over us.
To give Earth more chances we can be pretty sure that Battlestar needs to land on planet to finish repairs (it may be in last phase when mining is over). It cannot be done on Moon or outer-space.
With winning and showing dominance I mean to use minimal power(he could start nuclear war) but if there is other way the better.
So far so good, Battlestar can win almost in every aspect. You own orbit you own planet. How about possible scenarios when people from Earth use spies/computer viruses/biological weapon(unknown disease spreaded by Raptor crew)/nuclear device attached to Raptor/deception and so on...