Ok, here is the deal... In my story, I am trying to create a small kingdom containing somewhere 1000-1500 people with a 30-70% female to male ratio & 10-90% children to adult ratio. It is an old fashioned medieval age era and also the kingdom is underground, beneath a very huge mountain (No, they are not dwarves).
The society is divided into various stratas consisting of people from different vocations including teachers, traders, hunters, craftsman, soldiers, etc but no farmers. They would also be maintaining animals, some as livestock like cows, goats, poultry, etc and some for war like horses or elephants. They have a source of water and their food is supplied via traders, so that is taken care of. Also, money is abundant.
So my questions are (in that order)
- Is the scenario feasible ? Having the entire settlement underground including the animals and sustaining everyone.
- What are the specifics I would need to take care of while setting it up, like the area it would cover, set up of the kingdom to accommodate the residents, the local shops, the animals, the nobility, if any ? Also, need to take into account the creation of perimeter defenses, though it would not be that huge.
- Is the original estimate of 1000-1500 enough to maintain the kingdom or will I need to increase them ?
- Since the kingdom will have a small army, it naturally follows that it would need barracks to house the soldiers, armory to store the weapons, blacksmiths to make the weapons, traders who trade in the specific metals used to make the weapons...it's kind of a snowball effect.. So what are some other similar things that would be required to sustain the kingdom ?
- Any other general scenarios that I would need to take care of, considering that the kingdom is underground.
Any maps detailing the setup would also be welcome.
Note: was not exactly sure of which tags to apply, feel free to change them.