I want to have a strict and complicated caste system in my future space society (on a planet or a large space station). What would be the reasons and how would the system develop?
Possible reasons/processes of caste formation:
- Military rank system; ranks will become hereditary. Civilians may become the lowest caste.
- Roles (Engineer, Technician, Doctor, etc...) that become hereditary. Children will learn the profession of their parents.
- A commercial space colony/station where both poor and rich people will settle. The owner of the whole thing wanted to earn some money, so he said that it will be a (semi-)democratic government and you must pay to have more power and rights. The richer a person is who will join the colony, the more he can pay to buy various rights or power for him and his descendants
- The colony is founded by a conservative society where castes exist (for example India).
- A rich person builds a space station/colony and moves in together with his personnel, servants, friends and relatives. The descendant of his butler will probably be a "higher servant", the descendant of the janitor a slave and the descendant of the owner of the swiss bank who was allowed to join the rich person because he hid his money from the tax authority will of course be a noble or a trader.